MECHANICSBURG

FIRE DEPARTMENT

mfd%2520red%25204_edited_edited.png

OURHISTORY

CITZENS FIRE & RESCUE COMPANY #2

'We Strive to Save in Time of Need'
CUMBERLAND COUNTY COMPANY #27

It was during the early part of 1903,  in which two fires of great magnitude destroyed the Thomas Printing House Plant  in the month of January, & the Heighes Coach Shop together with a number of surrounding buildings in the month of May, for which assistance was need from Harrisburg, the citizens of the western section of town awakened to the fact that better fire service was needed. The question of another company located in the upper was agitated & seemed to meet with such great favor that a petition was circulated and soon over 200 property owners signed. 

 

In the old council chambers, June 12, 1903, this company was organized with a charter list of 60 members.  Andrew Stambaugh was elected the first president. The lot where the building stands today was purchased from Dr. W. H. Moyer and during the latter part of October, 1903, ground was broker for a new engine house.  The new house was dedicated on April 21, 1905 & the new Knott Steam Engine arrived in November.

Here are some more highlights of our company's past:

 

  • In 1935, the borough council purchased an Athens-Fox Pumper which was later bought from council by the company.

  • In 1958, the company purchased a 1956 Ford Chassis & L. B. Smith, Inc. built 1,000 gallon tanker.  The chassis was replaced with a 1961 GMC.    

  • In 1962, the company purchased a 1951 Chevrolet van to carry rescue & salvage equipment.  This unit was later replaced by a 1971 Dodge chassis with a SWAB Wagon C. body.  

  • In  the spring of 1962, ground was broken for an addition to the station.  The addition was completed that same year.  

  • In 1970, the company purchased a Dodge Rescue Truck.  The Rescue was then sold to our friends at the New Kingstown Fire Company, who then sold it to Tuckey's Restoration Company.

  • In 1975, the company merged together with the Rescue Hook & Ladder and the merger is now know as Citizens Fire & Rescue Company No.2.  Station 1 was located at 208 South York Street (today's station) & Station 2 at 101 West Main Street (currently La Campana Restaurant).  

  • In 1975, we also took delivery of a new Mack Pumper with a 1000 GMP pump.

  • In 1980, a Ford 1000GPM pumper was purchased by the Borough to replace the 1966 GMC pumper.  This is currently former E 127 Engine 127.

  • In 1985, the company purchased a Sutphen pumper with a 1500 GPM waterous pump, 750 gallon tank, with seating for six firefighters. this unit replace the Mack pumper and is currently Engine 227.

  • In 1990, the company purchased a 1990 Spartan SWAB Heavy Duty Rescue to replace the 1970 Dodge Rescue Truck.  This unit is still in service as Rescue 27.

  • In 1998, the company purchased an Ford F-250- Harrisburg Body Utility truck.  This unit is still in service today as Utility 27.

'Pride of the Hill'

ddad63_be55029fc01efe658ec364bb19ab27ab.